Thursday, September 23, 2010

Book Program with Castalia Literary Club


Tuesday, September 21st, it was my pleasure to meet with the ladies of the Castalia Literary Club. After an absolutely delicious and abundant lunch in the Family Life Center of the Leeds First United Methodist Church, I talked about how I came to write Sweet Music on Moonlight Ridge, and the characters from my childhood who inspired me.

There were lots of questions, discussion and laughter after I read a chapter, Coming Into This World, which relates the surprising hi-jinks that took place the day the main characters, Lily Claire and Willie T. were born in the little town of Eden, Alabama. Several of the ladies present were so familiar with the rural mountain area near our hometown, which was the inspiration for Eden, we all felt like we were talking about our own childhood home. There were lots of shared memories and stories from the past.

There is truly nothng I like better than sharing a story that brings enjoyment, laughter and joy, and these sweet, gracious ladies were the perfect audience. And rest assured, there was ample discussion about the beloved possums of Moonlight Ridge!

12 comments:

  1. Great news about your appearance at the literary club. BTW, I love this picture of you above. Looks warm and welcoming.

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news! I agree about your picture - it's beautiful. BTW, are those possum earrings I see?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, Joyce and Joy. Why, yes, those are possum earrings! Glad you can identify them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ramey, I am soooo proud and happy for you and your beautiful book! I was transported back to my childhood and all the wild and wonderful things I (and MY crazy cousins did)! I was totally captivated and enchanted with your recollections of your childhood. I look forward to the sequel! Linda Smith Ricottone

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book is so special to me, not just because Ramey is a friend of mine. It reminds me of life in the days when children had adventures in the outdoors, and no one had to be afraid of any "real ' danger for them. I always feel that when kids used their imagination, (along with some stories told when we asked our Grandparents and parents to tell us about when they were young) the whole world was really more thrilling. I laughed out loud and got a lovely warm feeling about childhood all in the same book. Anyone who misses this will miss a real winner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda and Carole,
    I'm so delighted that you two fabulous ladies enjoyed my book! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. I hope this book reflects the wonder and whimsy of childhood for lots of Southern readers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ramey: Fantastic! Writing fiction is by nature such a solitary and obsessive pursuit, there's nothing better than spending some face-to-face time with a room full of serious readers. Congratulations; you've earned it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ramey: I was at the Castalia Literary Club meeting and after hearing your story, I bought the book. Reading it was the best Sunday afternoon I've had in a long time.....funny, funny, funny. Being a newcomer to the community, I have a new found respect for the things I missed by living in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dale: thanks so much for your never-failing support. You always make me feel hopeful and even more hopeful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joyce: I'm so delighted that you enjoyed the Literary Club and the book! I certainly enjoyed meeting you at the Castalia program; glad that you are now friends with Lily Claire and Willie T.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ramey, wanted you to know a bookstore (out of the blue) ordered 10 of your books this morning! Never heard of the store before but he says he sold out after the Pulitzer announcement! VERY sweet music on moonlight ridge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's great news to hear! I think it must be very good luck to kiss a possum.

    ReplyDelete